Over time, black mold exposure can cause serious health problems to adults, children, and pets. Kids and pets are particularly prone to health problems associated with mold exposure, so be sure to learn how to prevent mold and what to do if you find mold in your house. Here is some useful information you ought to know in case your family experiences a mold problem: 

  1. How can black mold affect children?

Black mold can influence the health of children through inhalation, ingestion, or absorption through the skin or eyes of mold spores. According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), indoor black mold exposure is linked to respiratory illness in otherwise healthy children. Additionally, black mold exposure can result in the development of asthma in some children, particularly those who are genetically vulnerable to asthma development.

  1. What are the signs of black mold exposure in children?

Children who are allergic to mold may show symptoms like sneezing, runny noses, itchy eyes, wheezing, and coughing. Black mold exposure can also cause irritant reactions in allergic kids, for example, skin irritations, eye irritations, or headaches. Those who suffer from asthma can reveal asthmatic symptoms such as wheezing, coughing, chest tightness, and shortness of breath.

  1. Which kind of doctor should I find about mold exposure?

The CDC recommends that first, you need to consult a family or standard health care provider that will consult with a specialist if needed. The sort of specialist is dependent upon the health issue. Allergists treat patients with mold allergies, infectious disease doctors treat mold infections, and pulmonary physicians treat lung ailments.

  1. How does black mold affect pets?

When experiencing long-term mold exposure, pets may exhibit symptoms such as respiratory problems, pulmonary hemorrhage, nose bleeds, runny noses, lethargy, and more. Be sure to keep your pet away from moldy food and environments. Take your pet to the vet immediately if they reveal mold exposure symptoms.

  1. Where can black mold be located in homes?

Black mold thrives in hot and damp environments, such as basements, bathrooms, and kitchens. To prevent mold problems in your home, make sure there are not any leaks that cause water damage. Use fans and dehumidifiers to maintain the humidity in your home between 40% and 50%. Learn more mold prevention hints here. Click here for more information.

  1. How can I deal with a mold problem in my home?

If the mold issue is big in scale (the affected region is larger than 10 square feet), it’s very important to hire a professional to remove the mold. They can eliminate the mold quickly and efficiently with the use of specialized equipment and techniques. For a small mold infestation, you can look at eliminating it yourself by simply following these hints.

To find out more about how to take care of small-scale mold issues in your home, have a look at our tips to eliminate mold in the toilet, cellar, and kitchen, as well as from unexpected areas in the home. For professional mold removal, fire, water, and other emergency restoration services, contact your regional PuroClean office.